About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013


Camping

In the past couple of weeks I became distinctly aware of the bodies we live in, and how we occupy them.

I have a client that is participating in the Ironman (is that still politically correct?) event over the weekend. I know quite a few people that recently ran the Two Oceans race - although I do think most of them used it as an excuse to come down to the Western Cape for a holiday...The not so long ago Argus cycle tour is another example of this.

None of these (for me extreme) sports really appeal to me, but each to his own, and I applaud anyone that has the discipline, energy, commitment, focus etc. to train and participate in these sports. My 2 eldest boys for some reason now also decided that they want to start running - I think it has something to do with receiving a medal. Personally I don't think that is much of a reward, but who am I to judge?

On another note, a very much liked client had a heart attack last week. He is now recovering at home. We had the whole health discussion at the end of last year, you know - what are you doing to cope with work stress? When are you going to take a holiday? Coincidentally he came back from a holiday break just before it happened. In the same week I heard of a friend diagnosed with breast cancer. This was a bit closer to home - female, small kids, same age, similar life style.
I know life is temporary. Or let me put it this way, my brain knows life is temporary. As a friend frames it: our bodies are the 'tents' we live in, just a shell. Temporary. Explaining this to my kids is another story, a rather challenging one. But it does help me to start making sense of where I am with this health, body awareness concept.

The bottom-line is this: you need your body to live your life purpose. The question then comes up: how are you treating/managing/occupying your 'tent'? This is an aspect we look at in the Motto Individual Assessment, you can have a look on the website: http://goo.gl/UhC7V

No comments:

Post a Comment