About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013


Geronimo!

When my husband and I travelled back from the UK after our working-holiday stint, we came via Nairobi on an overland truck. This was a very long time before kids, business and having to be responsible. At Vic Falls I decided to bungee jump, something I always wanted to do. I had the idea in my mind that it would feel like you are soaring, flight-like...

Not the case!

The thought that went through my mind was more like: ' #@*%! This is not right/normal/natural/human!' I was, let's just say, out of my comfort zone. Although you know that theoretically you are safe (there is a safety cord), when you are in the air your brain however is not comprehending this.

In my consulting work I am often suggesting to and encouraging individuals to move out of their comfort zone for various reasons. I recently was involved in facilitating a highly volatile work space. In preparation for the planned confrontational conversation I asked all the participants to think about their needs in the relationships - with the individuals, the group, the brand, the company. What this exercise does is help you realise what (and who) is/is not important to you. Stating your needs, or having confrontational conversations are not always easy or guaranteed fun. And the reality is that it completely puts you 'out there'. Mid air. Vulnerable.

My wise coach taught me that it is great to put yourself 'out there', to really jump into that difficult conversation. But you can manage your own levels of vulnerability. The key is to realise that some people have 'earned' your vulnerability, and some not. You know who those friends, family and colleagues are - you feel 'safe' with them, and when you express your needs or feelings they totally value it.

Confronting others, expressing our needs and being vulnerable happen when we are realising our life purpose or personal vision. Fortunately these are all skills - which means we can become better at it. http://goo.gl/UhC7V

No comments:

Post a Comment