About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013


Hanging on

When I was at school I had an intense (as intense as teenagers can be) conversation with a close friend. She subsequently wrote an amazing poem about the conversation that later in the year won some national language prize. That same conversation theme came up again today, this time with my two older boys.

I was much older when I relayed the picture of us (people) being like puppets. Hanging on strings, being controlled, not having much choice. I could share my kids' frustration and confusion in trying to make sense of life, and our part in it. Understanding, or rather knowing, how much of a choice we have in it.

I suppose I have always had a thing for the dramatic. Recently a client commented on how I tend to dramatise some consequence scenarios. The observation was absolutely accurate. I am so very aware of the possibility of us not taking full ownership of choices that we consciously or not so consciously make, whether this relates to the existential and life purpose options or less loaded choices.

This awareness, or consciousness of how we deal with our lives often comes up in the mentorship and performance related conversations I facilitate for my clients. I use the Individual Assessment tool (http://goo.gl/UhC7V) to help people unlock their awareness of choices they can make in their own lives, jobs and careers.

Just yesterday I was part of such a conversation again. I expressed (of course very dramatically) to a talented, mid-life(ish) male manager a possible scenario if he did not choose to consciously steer his life/career in a different direction. He completely got it. I know that, reflecting on it a year from now, he will be in a different place in both his work life and personal life - he has made a decision to own his choices/life.

No comments:

Post a Comment