About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Those habits (and I counted way beyond 7…)

We have all read beautiful quotes on habit management. And we all know our own bad habits intimately. If you are in denial or oblivious to this, just ask your wife/husband/partner/colleagues/family. We all have them.

Some of us have been able to turn our bad habits into obsessions that work for us, not against us. That is the thing with bad habits, we compensate for them. Just permit me a stereotype. Have you noticed what absolutely social, awesome fun people most smokers are? And really oversized people, they are generally great fun, accommodating, loving, generous people. Put the two bad habits together - now there's a party just waiting to happen! Please, all over-indulging smokers, do not stop being this much fun (even if you do manage to change the habit!). I cannot judge, I have had my fair share of both those habits, and then some...

When you have such an addictive personality as I have, you very quickly realise when you are hooked, and then you take drastic measures to get out. No seriously, we do not have DSTV in our home! I would have loved to take the moral high road and said it is for the kids - you know, TV is really bad for them, blah blah blah. Alas, it is not so. It is to protect the mama. I will not do anything else apart from channel hopping. Really. Nothing else. My current challenge, and I have noticed most of my senior clients' challenge, is sleeping habits. Getting proper rest. Breaking the patterns.

Recently I have had a few conversations with people that are creating very healthy habits for themselves, with multiple benefits. Anything from cycling the Cape Argus to preparing for long challenging trips or races, such as the Camino de Santiago or Iron Man. It is truly remarkable. As good old Aristotle once said: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is then not an act, but a habit."

So, I guess me hitting the sack x every opportunity = excellence! Works for me…

Motto Model: http://goo.gl/cNnpy and Motto Individual Assessment: http://goo.gl/UhC7V

No comments:

Post a Comment