About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013


Getting your wings

Yesterday I met with a consultant-colleague that has managed to transform himself. When I met him a couple of years ago he was a client, part of a senior management team. Since then everything has changed, from the new funky beard, to the fresh MBA status and entrepreneurial business focus. I completely admire how he has gracefully moved through this huge transformation, and is now rebranding himself.

My baby girl on the other hand is not embracing her transformation from baby to toddler as gracefully. Now this could be because the change is enforced upon her, as life sometimes does. Or it could be because her star-sign is Virgo (no offense to any Virgo's). Or it could be that she is just not change and transformation fit, yet.

Personally I am also going through a transformational stage, partly because of where my baby is in her development, partly because my business is demanding it. This is both exceptionally scary and exciting.

This got me thinking, why do some of us struggle to adapt to the change in ourselves and our lives more than others? I have a close family member that is also in a transitional phase, and it is obvious that the man is in pain. I am sure that if he could he would also scream and tantrum as my baby does, maybe also straight through the night...

I am fortunate to have an amazing support system, from understanding close friends and family, to lots of professional supportive and guiding input. We are not meant to go through these personal changes on our own, without someone(s) having our back (so to speak).

This is my conclusion: the more support during the transformation, the easier, maybe less painful the process. The Motto model that I developed, and the subsequent Individual Assessment tool, can help you to transform yourself, and just maybe it would be a little less painful. (See self-assessment link: http://goo.gl/UhC7V)

No comments:

Post a Comment