About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013


Missing "L's" and 
other serious stuff


Lying awake last night after repeatedly singing Barney's "I love you, you love me" song in the middle of the night, (apologies to everyone that knows this song, and will now also be singing it the entire day...), I realised how I cannot take myself too seriously.

I had one of those moments where you watch the scene as if you are in your own movie. We are doing our own version of 'sleep training' and the only way we could calm our baby girl down, was to sing THAT song, over and over.

Earlier the day I had another "You must be kidding me"-moment.

I am running a public workshop with a friend and colleague, Jeremy Barty, later this month. A staff member had to post the flyer for this workshop on our website's social media backlink. This feeds into our Motto Facebook page, my LinkedIn network, my twitter account and my personal Facebook friends. Basically sending it to everyone I know.

The flyer post should have read "Join our public workshop.", but instead the critical "L" in "public" was not there...

The first phone call was from my husband, also receiving the social media feed. I was driving on my way to a client and had to pull over, laughing. Seriously?

In my line of work, consulting, we (the consultants, HR people, management) can take ourselves so seriously. When something like this happens, you have to re-assess your own positioning and how you see yourself. Will I be okay, regardless of what others will say or how embarrassing the moment might be?

This is the kind of self awareness creating questions that the Motto Individual Assessment tool looks at and one if the themes we will be tackling in our workshop. I hope you will be able to join us. I promise that the “L” will be solidly in place!

Link to the workshop flyer: http://goo.gl/BmFjo

No comments:

Post a Comment