About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012


Looking inward

This time of the year inevitably allows time to ponder and observe. Reflecting on the year passed and wondering or planning what could happen in the year to come. Part of the pondering is looking at the roles we play and trying to remember who we are in those roles.

Recently one of my boys made a comment about himself, his appearance and how others observe him. I was shocked and stunned at the comment, because what he was saying is not at all the reality. Now this is not just a mother's response, I know my little angels are not always angels. When I talked to him about this self perception it became clear that it was the projections of others that formed this idea about himself.

That got me thinking about how I perceive myself based on other's reactions about me, what I do and not do. On our way to our holiday destination we saw countless very fancy cars and 4x4's. My husband and I talked about the people in the cars, we made many assumptions about who they are, what they like and what they do. In essence what their 'identity' is.

I believe you can create your own life, destiny and self identity. You have a choice in what your future should be. Deciding on how you want to see yourself, your identity, is one of the things you can control in your life, regardless of how others see you.

All of us play certain roles, whether it is the parent, employee or life partner. During our lives these roles change as we develop. Today I am asking myself the question, 'How do you see yourself?' And 'How would you like to see yourself?'

How comfortable you are with your own identity and the roles you choose to play form part of the Personal Offering construct. All these related elements are measured with the Motto Individual Assessment on our website. It will give you an idea to what extent you are comfortable with yourself identity and personal offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment