About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Gripping stuff, I tell ya!

When I hit my lowest of lows in my parenting 'career' earlier this week, I started thinking about purpose and passion. I absolutely totally love, love, love my kids. Please do not get me wrong. I just know that parenting is not where I do my best work.

I am not even sure purpose is a prerequisite to proper parenting. So I must admit I do feel highly intimidated and pretty useless when I see and listen how some other people do it. These are mostly moms that have chosen parenting as their thing - they are passionate about it (I mean you can hear it in the way they debate and talk about stuff that can just not hold my attention) and they see it as their life purpose. Awesome!

Personally, being a mom is part of my identity, but my personal vision holds more than that. I believe there are reasons for our existence. A contribution to be made. What exactly this looks like, changes, but the direction is clear. As clear as I am hoping my morning flight's female pilot is about our destination. Still not an everyday career for a woman, I am sure she had to overcome countless challenges to live her passion and make her personal vision a reality.

I had an amazing 'bon voyage lunch' yesterday with a long term client on her way to Geneva. Set to influence large scale international environmental and political challenges. Living her passion and purpose, another step in realising her personal vision.

It is not just the girls that ponder on this, and refocus their efforts. I see it daily, phenomenal male business leaders, engineers, writers, you name it - checking that they are still personal purpose driven and at the end of the day making a difference. Contributing. What this picture entails is what I find fascinating. The individual's end goal and total beingness and how that fits the business vision and organisational mix, I love that. Being able to influence that is where I contribute, and get my kick, my fix. Now that to me is gripping stuff, my passion, my thing. What is yours?

Motto Model: http://goo.gl/cNnpy and Motto Individual Assessment: http://goo.gl/UhC7V

No comments:

Post a Comment