About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Friday, September 20, 2013

Be positive. Period.

This week's blog has been particularly tough to write. Not because I do not see myself as positive, far from it. I am super-duper positive...

Okay fine, I am not in the Pollyanna and Noddy category, but I would not describe myself as sceptic, pessimistic or negative. A client even called me 'realistic' this week, which in some people's view is very close to cynical. He meant 'not idealistic'.

So here is the challenge I am grappling with: the positive vs. the negative. All of it, energy,  influences, vibes, personas, auras, you name it - the stuff people project, say, do. All of it.
In my daily dealings with hectically heavy emotions and complex loaded decisions, I do find it tough. How do you manage the stuff we see, feel, experience - consciously or not? How do you ensure you do not get sucked in? Or as a wise client put it, how do you not lose your joy?

There are lots of research done on the effect of positive/negative energy on groups, organisations and business, and then subsequently on the bottom-line. So apart from the obvious reason to 'protect' yourself and actively manage your own state or mind-set, it is phenomenally important to business success.

I was a little amused earlier this week when a comment was made that my reaction towards the disciplinary behaviour of a colleague at a client was "unexpectedly harsh". You see, people often see my role as soft, bringing the empathy, feeling and support. And yes, that is part of it, but I cannot tolerate non-contributive negativity. It is just bad. Negativity sucks the life out of everything: individuals taking initiative, team cohesiveness, a collaborative culture. Everything.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not talking about having to deal with difficult and uncomfortable emotions. As taxing as that might be, it serves a purpose. It is usually very necessary. It contributes. Negativity does not contribute. It blames, complains, stirs without contribution. It is toxic.

Now that I have said my bit, here is what you could do about negativity: If it is your mind-set - stop and change. If it is around you - get out, avoid it, protect yourself, change it. But allowing it is destructive, and that is unacceptable.

Motto Model: http://goo.gl/cNnpy and Motto Individual Assessment: http://goo.gl/UhC7V

No comments:

Post a Comment