About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Thursday, May 16, 2013


I lost it!

I am ashamed to admit, I completely lost it!

There is possibly nothing that freaks me out as much as when I know someone is fully capable of doing or achieving something, and they then take option B – to rather opt out. The person knowingly decides to stop thinking one step further. This has got nothing to do with intellect or about being too “s-word” (stupid is a forbidden word in our house!).

After completely losing my cool when a colleague chose not to open her mind to a solution, I snapped with the remark: “You have to start thinking now.” The obvious recusation to a conscious effort just had my blood boiling.

I know all about the fight-or-flight thing – how panic/stress completely supports the “not thinking” state. And yes, I know, the way I ‘let rip’ was not facilitating better thinking. I am not making excuses for my bad behaviour, I am just stating – the ‘not thinking’ got to me.

When I have to write a blog post, I usually do not know what I am going to write about the previous night before I go to bed. Quite amazingly, at 3 o’clock on the dot the next morning I will wake up and know what to write about. My brain has sorted it out.

The capacity the brain has for thinking, more specifically problem-solving, is quite remarkable. There are many books and articles written on this topic. I say it again – it is not about being intelligent/smart/clever. It is about being disciplined to look for solutions. Being open to apply yourself – to work with what you already know. Being open to see or hear the answer.

Motto Model: http://goo.gl/cNnpy and Motto Individual Assessment: http://goo.gl/UhC7V

No comments:

Post a Comment