About Me

My photo
Dr Mariheca Otto Director B.Com (Hons: Industrial Psychology and Sociology), HED, M.Com and PhD in Business Management Dr Mariheca Otto is the face behind the Motto brand. She has delivered papers at conferences such as the ICCM, hosted by the Industrial Psychology Department of Stellenbosch University, and the South African Institute of Management Scientists' (SAIMS) annual conferences. Her research is not only published in academic publications, but also in newspaper articles. She has lecturing experience. She also has consulting and management experience in local government and various service industries. Staff related issues is her chosen field of expertise because she believes this is an organisation's number one tool to increase staff performance which generally results in increased profits.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013


To be or not to be


Today, when I was driving home with the kids in the car, I overheard a conversation between my Grade 1 and Grade 2 boys. The older brother was explaining to the younger (devastated!) brother why it is okay not to be chosen for the athletics team. "Some kids are fast and others are brainy".

I had to laugh. And for the record, that is not something we teach our kids, even though neither my husband nor I will call ourselves 'fast' or 'runners', and quite often I don't feel particularly 'brainy' either.
My son has figured out a way to be okay with what he has got to work with, whether his labelling is accurate or not.

Personally it took me a very long time to be okay with who I am, accepting what I have to work with. I remember how I struggled to conform and my 'otherwise' nature often caused me (or my parents) great frustration or discomfort.
Now, many years later, and lots of self-doubt moments in-between, I know that this questioning and even rebellious nature is part of who I am. And I like it. I am very comfortable with it, and I believe it is partly the reason why I know I am successful as a consultant.

Please allow me to put this "being okay-ness" in context to the Motto model I developed. Being proud of who you are forms part of what we call your 'Internal product' or 'Personal offering' construct. If you are not okay or not proud of yourself, this element will hold you back on your life journey of realising your personal vision. As I always mention, the Individual Assessment tool measures all of the elements that relates to this and you can find it on our website at http://goo.gl/UhC7V.

No comments:

Post a Comment